Thread: Draft or Bust
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012   #48
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft or Bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Two things I'm sick of hearing.

1.) We are going to draft a wide receiver in the first round.

Really? This is what the majority of the fans and the media thinks. Yet I haven't seen a single quote or heard a single sound bite from someone inside the organization say this. Walter is a coaches favorite and JJ just signed a new contract last year. I don't think Smithiack views WR as big a need as everyone else.

2.) If Williams leaves, they’ll need an outside linebacker in the first two rounds.

Why? Why in the first two rounds? We have our starters.
Does this count...

Quote:
Randle could be a fit for Texans at 26

By Paul Kuharsky

INDIANAPOLIS -- While still backing Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones, Texans coach Gary Kubiak conceded this week the Texans are looking for a wide receiver.

wide receiver Rueben Randle could be of interest to the Texans at No. 26.
One draft prospect who looks like a nice fit to play with, and eventually succeed, Andre Johnson is LSU’s Rueben Randle.

At just under 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, he’s a nice combination of size, strength and speed. He’s a willing blocker which also makes him a potential fit for Houston, which drafts 26th in the first round.

“I try to model myself after Calvin Johnson, he’s a big body receiver," Randle said. “He makes a lot of plays deep down the field and also yards after the catch. I try to model myself in that kind of way.”

Johnson’s also been on Randle’s radar.

“You’ve got no choice but to look at him," Randle said. “He makes plays each and every Sunday whether it’s two guys on him, three he just goes and makes plays on the ball and the quarterback trusts him. That’s the kind of thing I’m trying to build with the quarterbacks I play with.

“…That’d be great (to play with him). I’m pretty sure he’s going to get a lot of attention, that would free me up a little bit so it wouldn’t be much of a struggle for me. It’d be great to play with a great receiver like Andre Johnson, I’d just look forward to that.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...r-texans-at-26

As much as you're sick of hearing about the Texans taking a wide receiver in the first round... it doesn't change the fact that will be what they will most likely do.. It's the biggest need on this team and even if they don't spend a first round pick on a WR... you can be assured that their 2nd round pick will be spent on a WR. This is a very good WR draft and they're going to get one early.

As far as BPA goes... No G.M. really takes the BPA approach.. all G.M.s draft for team needs. I wish they'd just come out and say "they draft the BPA at their positions of need". So like Arlington said above... this isn't a Rick Smith or Gary issue, it's what every G.M. does and that's the reason why J.J. Watt is on this team. They had Aldon Smith rated higher, but when he was gone they took the next best available front 7 player. It really wasn't about getting just a OLBer, but a player who could dominate in the front 7. They then took the next best available OLBer with their 2nd round pick which rounded out their front 7 needs.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 02-26-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote