View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012   #50
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith Quotes from Combine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't believe this "shopping list" thing. I doubt Wade Phillips knew who JjWatt, Brooks Reed, or Brandon Harris were. The man has a full time job, he can't actively scout a thousand NCAA teams. Wade describes a player, Rick Smith & his Scouts put together the big board. Wade helps them rate the positions & the importance to his scheme.

I seriously doubt Wade said, "I want Aldon Smith, JjWatt, or Brooks Reed."

Heck, when Gibbs wanted Brown, Rick Smith was willing to gamble that he would be there if we traded down again. Yes, Gibbs hand selected Brown, but I'm sure it was after Rick Smith gave him a list to chose from.

Right now, Wade & Gary & Dennison & all the coaches are going through the files & film that Rick Smith & the Scouts have put together for them.
It seems like you're over simplifying this. I would be utterly shocked if Phillips had no idea who the defensive draft picks were. He doesn't have to actively scout thousands of players, as he has a scouting dept. at his disposal to do that. I'm sure they bring him a list of top 10's or so for each position and he does an in-depth analysis on them and comes up with his own ranking for players. He's going to know exactly who the team drafts for his defense. If not, that's a sign of an utterly disfunctional front office and the team ends up looking like Detroit (from a few years ago) or Cleveland.