View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith Quotes from Combine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
FYI, that's just speculation.

Another thing, in the last three years, our defense "averages" out to be pretty darn good. Going from worst to first from 2010 to 2011 is remarkable indeed... unless you take into account where we were in 2009.

10th against the run, & improving across the board at the end of the season.

We lost half of our DL rotation before the end of our first game in 2011 (Bullman in the preseason & Barwin week 1). We only had one game all season when we started all three of our starting LBs (Cushing, Demeco, Diles)..... & Eugene Wilson obviously lost a step.

& while I didn't think much of Dunta Robinson's on field ability, starting a rookie & approaching the game with what appeared to be a "protect the rookie" philosophy didn't help.

Not taking anything away from Wade, I'd much rather Wade Phillips than Frank Bush..... but we also gave Wade Jj Watt (in place of Amobi Okoye), Conor Barwin, Cushing, and Jonathan Joseph & Danieal Manning (I'm sure those were Wade's idea as well right?)...

Look, the defense stayed healthy through 2009, they had a good year. Didn't stay healthy through 2010... didn't look good. Stayed healthy (mostly) through 2011... they looked good. Football Outsiders called it before the 2010 season (6 wins, because of defensive injuries).
You're right it is speculation. This is what MB's are made for.

History should tell you BoB turned to Wade to rebuild the defense thru the draft and FA.

The question should be is there a correlation between BoB spending the $$$$ in FA to build the defense and putting a winning product on the field and will BoB be willing to spend the $$$$ in FA again?

I know this is just speculation but the MW situation will be a sign. If he lets MW walk and doesn't spend the $$$$ in FA you will know BoB has reverted to his old ways. Either that or just re-sign MW. Which I am on the fence with. Pending speculation on MW's contract demands.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote