View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alcoholism, bankruptcy and the unhappy story of Leigh Steinberg, former NFL agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
While I agree with you in general, I would expand it to say that HUMANS seem to be fascinated with tabloid gossip.

I think there is a direct correlation between the rise of extra non-productive "free time" and frivolous endeavors, and it is a trend not exclusive to Americans in history.
I think our interest in trivial, gossip-type stuff is because we want so desperately to see someone who has it worse than we do.

Which brings me back to this level of dissatisfaction that we invent for ourselves, to tell ourselves that what we have SUCKS and hopefully we don't suck as bad as others OR we can get better stuff and not suck as badly as we think we do.

This condition is more than just a human one, it's Americanism all the way. Other people in the world are just trying to not get raped/burned/imprisoned/starved/etc. while we are pissed off that a YouTube video is taking so long to buffer.

My rant was about how liberalism is the root source for Americans' dissatisfaction. According to liberalism, humans are the problem--We eat red meat, which contributes to cows' methane gas destroying the ozone, we are war mongering, wasteful of resources, unable to see that religion is bad for humanity, and the list of crimes against humanity goes on forever. Where you find someone crying about how unfair life is, and how IF we just had x or y or z then the world would be at peace, you will find someone who has listened to the whispers of liberalism...the idea that a constant state of self-loathing and dissatisfaction with the status quo is what makes us better people somehow. But I didn't want to state that in my previous post because I knew people would burn me at the message board stake for daring to allege such a thing. Instead, I will say that those pesky Tea Partiers is what's wrong with America. THEY are the radicals who are agitating people to unrest. LOL.