View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012   #10
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL Pre-Combine Mock Draft 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Just a quick follow-up before COX weighs in, which will be interesting in itself because you guys do realize that Jay Ratliff, three Pro-Bowler (two in Wade Phillips 3-4) is a NT. Same size, 6-4 287 (check Combine weigh-in) also out of SEC (Auburn). Big difference to me is only that Fletcher Cox is coming out as underclassman where Ratliff played DT only one year, his senior season recording 37 tackles, 10 TFL & one sack. Fletcher on other hand as a Junior mind you had 56 tackles, 14.5 TFL & 5 sacks.

So basically what you have here is a player who fits a 3-4 scheme & who could play every single DL position for Wade. This is a key reason for his selection, Fletcher Cox gives Wade defense plus value, possibly as a starting NT & softens the blow if unable to resign Mario Williams.
I wouldn't be shocked or upset if we took Cox, even if we resign Mario. But, I would be surprised if they took a NT later in the draft and then picked up another TE. If they get Cox I don't see them picking up Hicks in the 5th unless they move Cox to OLB like they did with Mario, and I just don't see that happening. Cox is not Mario. He's a DT that could also play DE. He's not a DE that can also play OLB. I agree he does give them flexibility to play him at NT or DE, but if Mario leaves, I don't think Cox replaces him.

As far as picking another TE, I don't see that happening either, even if we lose Dreessen. Although the odds go up a little of them getting 1 if he does leave. My thinking on this is they already have enough with OD, Dreessen, and Graham. And if Dreessen leaves or if someone gets hurt they still can move Casey back to TE.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote