View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012   #17
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: rmartin65 Pre-Combine Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Perhaps it's just what I've read then. Doesn't seem like he stands out much to me, I'll try to find more to read and watch, clearly I'm missing something. Haven't really spent much time on DL guys anyway. Since you have such a wonderful time expounding on players I'm sure I'll see a comment in a thread other than your own soon.

A guy who has weight/dedication issues...
A guy who was asked to leave his team, had problems with grades as a big time athlete at a big time school...
A guy who won't play this year...
Some depth and a guy who probably won't make the roster if he can't beat out Ward.

Nice pictures.
Did I say something wrong here? Or am I misreading your tone?

Mike Martin is a great prospect to play NT in any scheme. At 6'1", he has a low center of gravity, which allows him to get under offensive linemen and win battles. However, this does not mean he is a small player. At approximately 305 lbs, Martin has about 20 lbs on Mitchell and is 5-10 lbs heavier than Cody. While he is not a huge monster, he has adequate size, especially considering...

Strength. Martin has great strength for the position, he reminds me a lot of a player I liked in the draft a couple years ago, Geno Atkins (UGA, drafted by the Bengals). He also uses his hands extraordinarily well, which allows him to get inside lineman and eventually get around them.

Now, I dont really expect to much out of him as a pass rusher, but as a NT, I am not that concerned. He has a good but not great first step, which allows him to get close to QBs, but I am not expecting to see more than 3 sacks per season at the next level. He will, however, get a solid amount of pressures.

But what I like most about Martin is that he is a hard worker. Everything I read/hear about him underlines the fact that the guy is serious about football, much in the same way that Watt is.

I cant argue about Jeffery any more than I have. Yep, he was overweight last year. And if he shows up out of shape then he is off my board. I do, however, think he has the potential to be a difference maker in the NFL. Someone who can be a number 1 in the pros in the next couple years.

Yep, Lewis has had problems with school, but he has also been called one of, if not the, best DEs Oklahoma has ever seen. He exhibits everything that you want to see out of a OLB in the 3-4 on the field.

Who are you saying wont play? I think Broyles will be able to play. And if it is someone further down in the mock, then all I have to say is the Texans are no longer a bad team. Every rookie will not see playing time their first year. Look at Harris this year.

Morris is there for if/when Ward leaves. If not, then he goes to the PS for a year. Our 6th and 7th round picks in 2011 went to the PS, so it is not like it is unheard of.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote