View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: rmartin65 Pre-Combine Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
1. I respect your thought process behind Alshon Jeffery at this point. If he shows up in good shape at the combine, I may revise, but as of this point, he is off my draft board. From what I have been able to ascertain, this guy did not get big off buffets and the award circuit, he showed up heavy for his senior season. That indicates to me rather than work hard in the gym and on the field he slacked off his senior year and thought he was the man and didn't need to do the work. If reports are true and he really is in excess of 240 and he is in the high 4.7+ 40 time then he becomes the next Mike Williams(seattle version not TB).

3. Not sure here. To me something just doesn't click. He was in beast mode at the Senior Bowl and was constantly in the backfield, was stopping runs, and being disruptive. He put on an absolute clinic. Yet in his 4 years at Michigan I don't recall him ever doing anything remotely like that. The Senior Bowl could be thought of as playing for contract and when it was on the line, he delivered. After he signs a contract will he revert to the solid but not dominant player at Michigan or will he continue to dominate? Too many questions here for me, so not sure.

6. Gotta disagree here. He's a little light and didn't really do that great for Uconn. Some games he was great, others he was blown up. Struggled against your pick DT Martin. My biggest issue is his age. He turns 26 in a few days. At Uconn this 26 year old man was facing off against 20, 21, 22 year old boys and was not dominating them. As you said, he wouldn't start for a couple of years anyway, so he would be 28+ before he made a start. As a football player he is right now in his prime production years, and to be honest, I don't see a lot there. I understand its a 6th rounder, but give me someone younger with more potential.
1) Obviously the combine is very important to Jeffery. If he shows up fat (240+) and runs slow, then I remove him from the board. But the kid has talent, and if he shows up in shape I am putting my eggs in the basket that AJ will teach him how to be a pro. I forgot to mention that if any of FLoyd, Blackmon or Wright are available then they are the pick. I just dont think they will be there.

3) We must have watched different games then! I live in the Big 10 region, so I have seen a lot of Michigan games the last 4 years. And it is my opinion that the guy gives 110% every game. I think his dominance at the Senior Bowl (which I did not watch, unfortunately) was a future of what is to come, and not a player working hard for a contract. I think he is starting to realize his full potential.

6) I can see this argument (age), as it is one of the reasons why I have him down here in the 6th. However, I decided that OC is one of the positions that can be played until the late 30s- that is still 10 years, a solid career. Even if he never becomes a starter, a good backup is still a good pickup for a 6th round pick.

Thank you for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If Jeffery could get AJ type motivation and at Alshon's size run around 4.5, whoah. I sure ope I'm wrong about him. I like all the others but prob would go Chapman in 3rd rather than Martin as I've seen Chapman more. I was off him until I found about his ACL injury.
That is what I am hoping man. I hope Jeffery sees how AJ does it every day, and that he gets competitive.

Fair enough. Chapman is a solid player, but since I have seen Martin more, I feel more comfortable with him.

Thank you for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Doesn't possess great size, speed or strength for a 3rd round pick. I think the pick should have at least one. Trying hard is great but you get those guys later. He's seems like an overrated 5/6th round pick to me, good at everything but not great at anything. I like your mock though.
I support otis' response to your post here. I really think he is going to surprise some people at the combine with his athleticism and power. Thanks for reading the mock, it is great talking over players with people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Alshon Jeffery is pulling a Jamarcus Russel, but he's being dumber about by doing so before the draft. Drop him to a third round grade, no WR should be gaining that much weight before the draft. It just smacks of laziness and lack of dedication.
Lets wait to see how he shows up to the combine before we write a player off. However, I would be lying if I denied that his wait did worry me. Thanks for the comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
maybe Jeffery does not fit the Texan model but in general I feel most these players will be off the board by selection time in each round. sometime you have to reach in February to hit your target in April.
Hey man, it is too early to know that exactly. The players I picked where within the general zone of the Texans' picks. As more information comes in my board will change, which will result in changing players in the mocks.

It was good to hear your thoughts on the matter.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote