Thread: kipers new mock
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012   #16
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: kipers new mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I don't understand the line of thinking that we should draft a DE in the first round if we loose Mario. Why?
Vinny Curry would be an OLB in our system, and I said he should be considered, not taken. It depends on how other things shake out in free agency. If we keep Myers, Brisiel and Foster, WR and OLB would be our top two positions of need. However, I expect Blackmon, Floyd and Wright to be off the board by 26, so I would rather spend that pick on a good OLB. That's all, it's just a bunch of IF statements

Quote:
I love Decastro, there aren't a lot of players I would take in front of him. If we loose Meyers we better draft Konz. I'm not sold Smithiak thinks like all the fans and the media about our WR situation. I really hope the early portion of our draft goes to adding talent to our trenches be it OL or DL.
As I said, each of those picks is dependent on free agency. If Myers leaves, we must take Konz to keep the o-line in tact. I belive Konz can easily come into our system and start week 1. Same with Decastro. If we lost both Myers and Brisiel, I would have a hard time picking between the two of those guys, but I think Decastro will be gone before Konz. Either way, I hope the Texans aren't forced to pick one of those two due to losses.

Quote:
Foster is incredible, we need to give him the best blocking possible while he is still young and at the top of his game. RB's don't last that long. With the way our defense flies around the ball we need major depth and talent in our front seven. As long as we see to it that those two things are taken care of we will be in good shape.
I agree with that, but consider all the conditions here. If we keep Myers, Brisiel, Foster (I think that's reasonable) and lose Mario, wouldn't OLB be one of our top needs? We don't have much behind Barwin and Reed, and we need depth there. I think it would come down to OLB and WR, but given the free agency class, I would expect the Texans to pick up a WR more so than an OLB. There is a lot of talent at WR free agency and I would prefer filling that need through free agency. Good WRs are easier to find in this second round than OLBs too, so if that's the case, I would prefer going with Curry at 26 and seeing who falls to 58. Rueben Randel, Dwight Jones, Alshon Jeffery, Tommy Streeter, Sanu, etc etc, any of them could be there.