View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012   #80
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Realistically, is AJ going to the hall of fame??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
They didn't hold no sb rings and a short career against Gayle Sayers, Dan Marino and many other players that were considered the best of their era.
And are any of the guys who voted them in around today? Very few, if any.

Gayle Sayers was one of a kind. Twenty-two TDs in his rookie year - and that's on a total of 232 touches (PR, KRs, receptions, and rushes). That's nearly one TD every ten times he touched the ball. Six TDs in one game. Voted All-Pro (not pro bowl) five times in his six seasons. Led the league in rushing twice and in yds from scrimmage 2 or 3 times.

Marino owned every significant passing record when he retired. Manning and Brees are just starting to rewrite some of them. But when he was voted in, he owned nearly all of them and still owns quite a few. You can look at the list HERE .

What NFL records does A.J. hold or share? I can't find any. I remember Kubiak pointing out he was the fastest to some yardage milestone of any receiver but that's not like saying he holds the all time yardage or reception or TD record now is it?

With few records to point to and no rings, A.J. is great role model but no shoe in for the HoF.

I heard, a long time ago, some wagging tongue talking about Moss or T.O. or someone regarding whether they belonged in the Hall. They said, "If you have to argue them into the Hall of Fame, they probably don't belong." And I agree. A Hall of Fame selection should be a no-brainer. Marino? Rings or not, he was a no-brainer. So was Sayers when he was elected in 1977 (I wonder if he'd get in today since his career was so short).

Trust me, I want A.J. in as much as you do. I just don't trust the current generation of voters to give him that honor. ...especially without a SB ring or league MVP to point to.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote