Thread: Bl Top 32
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bl Top 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Out of curiosity, I know this is your best 32, how much did the opinions of rmartin & bb affect where you rank these guys? Did you take into account any of the "known" sportswriters' opinions? Kiper, Brooks?

Will you & the others put out your "Mock Texans' big board?"

How deep is your "real" list?
of course they carry weight. however in the end it's on me to make who I feel is the best talent available. maybe if I subscribed to ESPN Scout or whatever it's called, Kiper & McShay opinions would also carry some weight, but I don't. Instead I try to base opinion on my own work, watching actual game tape, practices, interviews that kind of thing. Notice I don't have Dontari Poe included which I see a lot in mock drafts & big boards, I tried too but couldn't catch a Memphis game or recorded film of him performing. Doesn't mean he's not worthy of a top 32 grade, just that I haven't seen it.

Draft guys I respect include Maycock, Lomardi, Nolan Nawrocki, of course both LZ & John Harris of The Sideline. For example here is their write-up on Kendall Wright, now a sure trade up option if Texans target him.
Quote:
As with other receivers that come from a spread option, Wright could use work sharpening his routes and might have issues separating from defensive backs initially at the next level. Still, many draft analysts consider him to be a late first, possibly early second round range. When he runs at the combine, however, I predict his stock to be solidly in the first because he’ll be faster than any receiver that has a chance to be drafted in the first two rounds. The recent success of receivers such as Mike Wallace, DeSean Jackson and Carolina’s Steve Smith will help the notion that a player of Wright’s size can be an elite talent despite his diminutive size.
My take is focus on his production. Look at his numbers, forget about his return skills. 108 receptions in 2011 alone. 1663 total yards with a 15.40 average per catch. combine those two numbers together & it shows he has both ability to separate & create for plus yardage. Throw in 14 TD's means he can finish plays. Great hands, body control, expect a top 5 shuttle time, vertical should also be outstanding @ the combine, not worried about his forty, knows the route tree & is most pro ready after Blackmon. Which all comes into play in regards to his draft grade assigned.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote