View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BB/65/BL Post Super Bowl Texan 2012 Mock Draft 1A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't have a problem with the player really...And honestly it's just me nitpicking...If the draft went down exaclty how this one did I wouldn't complain...Hell, I don't do a lot of complaining about any of the Texans drafts as I am just excited about the new players...

But the QB in the third round is what threw it off for me...

For a rookie thrown into the fire like he was I thought Yates did a pretty good job. He was the Texans first ever play-off QB. He has more play-off experience than any QB we've ever had.

Unless we can get a top tier QB like RGIII somehow I'd like to concentrate on grooming Yates. He's mobile, has a good arm and while he showed some poor decision making as far as his throws go, he was going against some pretty good defenses in the play-offs. The experience he got this year was invaluable. A lot of people don't want to see Yates play next year (and as long as Schaub is healthy I don't either), but I don't dread the prospect of seeing him take snaps...

I'm all for picking up a Case Keenum if he's an UDFA and bringing him in, but I'd rather use that third round pick on a RB/LB or another WR and the same for that fifth round pick.
Yates was prone to making mistakes in College. I'm on record, when Texans made the pick I didn't like it. Said similar thing as you, that if they felt QB was a need they should have taken a top tier prospect earlier in the draft. But Kubiak proved he can develop a young QB with some ability & overcome less desirable tendencies with good mechanics, this is key to pick. So why not clean out the bullpen (Leinart, Delhomme, Garcia) with a solid, talented & young QB trio, while saving cap room? This theme is carried foward in both mock 1A & 1B. Let's take advantage of Coach Kubiak's strength, QB development & settle QB position next 10 years. The final draft grade for Lindley is yet to be established but should come in at least on par with that of current starting Texan QB Matt Schaub drafted out of Virginia 3rd rd. 2004. Lindley is legitimate starter material to develop & eventually replace Schaub. It's a bold stroke but if you look at the numbers & play to the strength of this organization it makes a lot of sense. Ryan Lindley's numbers smash those of Schaub in College, he has a strong arm, is athletic (also baseball player) threw for 12,700 yards & 90 TD's.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote