View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012   #26
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texan Post 2012 Senior Bowl Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
talking about elite pass rushing attack with or without Mario Williams. Even though Texans maintained pressure once Mario went out for season there was a big drop-off in sacks & QB hurries remember 2011 losing streak? The Texans pass rush disappeared when Mario got hurt, took them a few games to adjust then fared well into the playoffs, or were the teams offensive lines really that good? if Rick & Co. cannot come to terms with Mr. Williams it creates a vacuum which I'm sure Wade Phillips will want/need to address. Remember last year before the Senior Bowl & a lot of us had Von Miller mocked to Texans early? Well all he did was become the defensive mvp of that all star game, impressed NFL coaches & brass, went to the Combine & flashed his amazing speed winding up in Denver as the #2 overall selection. Similar things with Aldon Smith, but there were some lingering off field issues that kept him off my Texan board, it seemed post draft by Wade Phillips & others comments the Texans would have taken him if available.

Another example of elite pass rusher is Jason Pierre-Paul who taken by Giants after beating that 19-0 New England Patriot team, Brady was sacked 5 times & hit another 9. Giants know pass rush kills. Denver defense received a huge overall with one of the best edge pass rushers & 49'ers have what is considered the best defense in football. All three have elite pass rushers, latest selected was Paul, but arguably the best value #15 so how in hell is would anybody object to Texans addressing pass rush with elite talent #26 if unable to pay Mario Williams a big free agency contract?

Vinny Curry is no more raw than a young Pierre-Paul or Aldon Smith, two big question marks for both players that proved unfounded. A natural pass rusher is born with god given talent & instincts. Applied in the right system with quality coaching I have no fear or doubts he would be able to add another athletic, speed pass rusher as OLB in Wade Phillips attack.

Should be adapt at playing both 4-3 and 3-4 in time
Has great size/speed combination
Very sound at stripping the football
Explosive tackler
Has been productive for 3 years
Gained 20 pounds of muscle this off season without losing speed
Great agility at turning corner around the tackle
Quick, quick, quick

I hear what you ar saying, but my only issue with that is: Are you drafting this guy to sit behind Brooks Reed or are you drafting this guy to play ahead of him?

There are issues with both of those outcomes.

It sounds nice to say draft him and let them compete in camp, but it's hard to actually get a a true competition in camp. Very rarely are starting jobs won during that time.

If we are looking to bolster OLB I would look at guys in later rounds. UNLESS, there was one on the board that was just head and shoulders above everyone else on the board.

If the guys on the board are about evenly rated I'd rather go with a position like WR or even gaurd or corner.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote