Originally Posted by beerlover
Without Free Agent to be Mario Williams:
First Round: Vinny Curry, OLB, Marshall, 6'3 3/8" 265
Explosive pass rusher with elite length, high ceiling, lower cost option to maintain quality 3-4 pass rushing fleet & resign other key free agents.
Second Round: Juron Criner, WR, Arizona, 6'2 1/8" 220
Experienced, NFL ready, size/speed/hands/route combination. Bright, eager teammate, rises to top of competition, ideal #2 to Andre Johnson.
Third Round: Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina, 6'0" 203
First round talent vs small school competition. Ballhawk. Physical & competitive. Both long & short area recovery speed. Long arms, big hands, tremendous instincts ideal #2 CB for Texans.
Fourth Round: Isaiah Pead, RB/Returner, Cincinnati, 5'10 193
Premium return man who can also save roster spot in back-up RB duties. In the same mold as Joshua Cribbs who went undrafted, now return game is costing teams playoff games stock in reliable, playmaking returners a premium.
Fifth Round: Levy Adcock, OT, 6'5" 322
Where's the beef is here with next two picks. ZBS style OL who may compete immediately for LG duties. In time starter material immediate swing tackle.
6th Round: Akiem Hicks, NT, Regina, 6'5" 324
Disruptive, nasty-streak, unblock-able at times, will require double team next level. Adds strength to inside while Curry adds speed outside.
7th Round: David Paulson, TE, Oregon, 6'4" 250
Complete TE in Kubiak mold who is willing, effective blocker both on line & downfield, reliable hands, knack of finding seam/separate in coverage. Excellent red zone target, in Dwight Clark mold.
Nice! Your first 3 picks are money, and the others are definitely not slouches.
1) Curry- dude has pass rush stud written all over him. Has the athleticism and the football sense to make an impact right away.
2) Criner- I have a hard time pegging Criner. I want to like him, but I think he gets overrated at times. However, the size is there, the talent is there, so if he can just stay on the field, he is worth a 2nd round pick. I would like Texans to take a chance on a big red zone target, so I like this pick a lot.
3) Norman is undoubtedly one of the biggest winners of the all star game circuit. The guy has great size and athleticism, just needs a little polishing. While corner may not be a need for the Texans any more, you dont pass on talent.
4) Pead.. I just dont like him. I like the idea of a backup running back, and I like the idea of a returner, but I just dont like him. He has speed, but I dont see him creating- I see the line opening a lot of holes.
5) I dont know a lot about Adock, but you are money with lineman. Nice pick.
6) Hicks worries me, but a developmental NT this late is a good idea. Hicks could be special, but he was a nobody before a couple weeks ago.
7) I like the Paulson pick. Solid player, fits the Texans' mold of TEs.