Re: 1/17 Mock
1. Konz, I love the player, but not the pick, I'd rather go WR in the 1st. There are just so many good WRs throughout the draft, I'd rather build up one of the lines with my premium picks. Control the trenches and such. Here you get the consensus best C available, a guy from Wisconsin's OL instead of the probably 4th or 5th best WR.
2. Irvin, I'm not familiar with him, I haven't looked at OLB's since I didn't consider it a need. Might be a great player but why do you have us taking an OLB here when we've got good OLB's. Is this based on Mario leaving? If so then it's a good pick. Read up on him. Seems like a good story, troubled guy who turned it around. Crazy athleticism, very close resemblance to Von Miller and yes, I think Mario is history. Regardless, you can never have too many guys to rush.
3. Hilton, he's got good college production but I question against what level of competition and don't like his size. What coference is Florida International? Do you see him strictly as a PR/KR?Sun Belt. I think he's capable of slot duties, I wouldn't peg him as a #2 but definitely an offensive weapon with speed they definitely need. Hopefully his size and competition don't become huge factors because all you can read about him is how much of a playmaker he is.
4. Fuller, if he's still available, it's a possibility, then he's great value and I love this pick.If I do need to switch 3 and 4, so be it. I used CBSsports.com's round rankings and yes, I do believe Fuller gets pushed out of day1 for sure, this far? Maybe. He's got size and strength but where the AJ comparison falls way short is speed and quicks.
5. Baptiste, not familiar with him either but he's got great size and speed for his size. Where did he go to school? Baylor! I honestly can't find much to read about him other than he's a)huge and b) fast.
6. Gallipo, great value if he's still available but I think he goes earlier than this. He'd be good ILB depth. I doubt it, he has poor foot speed. This would be a solid place to grab some ILB help or even Chad Diehl FB, this is the first mock I've done without him!
7. Looney, again not familiar with this guy but he's got great size for the position. Where did he go to school? Wake Forest. He's a guy with enough heft to block big DTs and quick enough to get to the 2nd level. What I've read is he has trouble pass blocking but then again, it IS the 7th round.
Any thoughts on UDFA targets?
You've got alot of guys I'm not familiar with. Overall I'd rather go with a WR earlier and then get an OG in the 2nd round, and the Irvin pick confuses me unless this is based on losing Mario. I'd also flip flop picks 3 and 4. I think we stand a better chance of getting both that way.
Yeah, Mario's toast and if flipping 3/4 make it work then so be it. I just used CBSsports.com's rankings to fill this one out. The Irvin pick, maybe right now seems kinda like, wtf mate? But think about it, we have the chance to groom a guy with freak measurables. Good teams have good players sitting, watching and learning.