View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012   #70
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What happened to Yates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Thanks for your thoughts, man. Obviously it's been a little while since that game, which I have honestly just tried to forget after it was over, so that was just my initial memory on it.

Do you recall if they took any shots downfield? And did he seem like the same QB as he was against the Falcons and Bengals to you?

The whole team seemed like they were in a funk against the Panthers and Colts, so not trying to make TJ a scapegoat for those losses.
Oh, I know you're very level-headed; you're good in my book.

As far as the Colts game, I think it was also a case of the Colts being too proud to let us come to their house and make them look even worse.
They played hard.

Overall, for the season (including this game and the playoffs) I believe that Yates is ahead of the curve.

I've noted in at least another thread that Dalton also made many "questionable" throws during the season (especially early on) where it could have resulted in INTs.

From what I saw (and this include Leinart and Schaub), going long is not what the WCO is designed to achieve.

Even so, I don't think that Yates (or Leinart) is lacking on this end.
For Leinart, the sample size is too small, so I won't bother to discuss it.
I just want to mention that (when I include the Pre-season); where the QB is going with the ball also depends on the play call and whether the coverage decides to keep the ball in front of the defenders by playing deep safety(ies).

I was checking around (I think it was week 15 or so) and I found a website that tracks deep throws by QBs.
They track all throws longer than 15 yards as deep passes (which corresponds to the nfl.com website) and I found some interesting numbers.

They have it updated it for the year when I just checked a few minutes ago.
http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=QB

Here are some interesting numbers regarding the percentage of "deep" pass attempts by some QBs:

Brady 18.1%
Brees 17.6
Schaub 21.6
Yates 21.7
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote