View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012   #62
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What happened to Yates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I think you have a valid point about potential 'over-coaching'.

I think of his first game when Leinart went down, off the bench, and he runs a two minute drill for a FG.

Then the next two games, Falcons & Bengals, and he wins them at the end with great drives, one to clinch the AFCS. He just seemed like a natural in these games, and he was facing solid defenses.

At this point, maybe he became surrounded by voices. Kubiak, Dennison, and Greg Knapp (QB coach), then Schaub, Leinart, Delholmme, & Garcia, all giving him insight and wisdom and things to clutter his brain about footwork and reading defenses and checking down and looking for the blitz and and and and...

Just speculation on my part, of course. But, Yates did seem to play a lot tighter against the Panthers and Colts, like he was trying to think about everything he did on the field before he did it, instead of just following his instincts, even though they are rookie instincts.

None of us can really know how much or how little these voices contributed to anything, but it's certainly within the realm of possibilities to take into account. I'm sure it was a lot coming at him when he lacked the preparation provided by an off-season and being on the active roster for the first 3/4ths of a season.
I didn't see the game, so I could be completely wrong, but the box score seems to indicate that Yates was pretty good against the Colts???

Above 100 QB rating...Only did not complete 3 passes...no picks (I think)...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote