View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012   #61
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What happened to Yates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
I do not agree with this. Did you see that deep out he threw? That had mustard on it for sure. I agree more with the idea that it's his indecision that keeps him from firing it in there.

That is probably from being over coached as others have suggested. "Too many cooks spoil the broth" even though we all know it was all done with the best of intentions.

I did not see this mentioned anywhere, but did you see near the end of the game the camera shot of Delhomme sitting on the bench as if to suggest it was time to give Yates the hook, or to ponder why Kubiak was not going to the vet to see what he could do in the final minutes?

With all that said... Let it be known that I too like mustard on my balls.
I think you have a valid point about potential 'over-coaching'.

I think of his first game when Leinart went down, off the bench, and he runs a two minute drill for a FG.

Then the next two games, Falcons & Bengals, and he wins them at the end with great drives, one to clinch the AFCS. He just seemed like a natural in these games, and he was facing solid defenses.

At this point, maybe he became surrounded by voices. Kubiak, Dennison, and Greg Knapp (QB coach), then Schaub, Leinart, Delholmme, & Garcia, all giving him insight and wisdom and things to clutter his brain about footwork and reading defenses and checking down and looking for the blitz and and and and...

Just speculation on my part, of course. But, Yates did seem to play a lot tighter against the Panthers and Colts, like he was trying to think about everything he did on the field before he did it, instead of just following his instincts, even though they are rookie instincts.

None of us can really know how much or how little these voices contributed to anything, but it's certainly within the realm of possibilities to take into account. I'm sure it was a lot coming at him when he lacked the preparation provided by an off-season and being on the active roster for the first 3/4ths of a season.