View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: rmartin65 Post-Season Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Exactly, thank you. When he first came in Wade said he had no issue with who we have at NT. It's the fans who seem to think there's a problem and, IMO, it's because many of you think that it's a must that you have a big 'space-eating' guy in the middle when running a 3-4. Not true. Wade runs a different system than Pittsburgh, San Diego, etc.

His front is predicated on big guys who can stop the run but also rush the passer. Hence Watt, Smith, Cody, etc. A 335 lb guy isn't going to create much pass rush. I think a guy like Worthy is definitely someone they would target if NT was a need, but I don't really see it as one.
Just curious, what was he supposed to say? "I prefer a bigger player but I got stuck with these and I have plans already for the draft picks to shore up other areas."

I have pushed for a big nasty but do not say it's a must. I believe a big NT that is in shape (not a Hainesworth fattie) can absorb more of the damage received than a Mitchell type. I don't see either of our NTs putting much pressure on QB. Those that can shut down the run AND disrupt the QB are rare imo. I really want a NT to tie up 2-3 blockers every play, if he can collapse the pocket even better. Just don't see Cody or Mitchell doing that.