View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: rmartin65 Post-Season Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I post this in every mock thread because this never ends...

Why do we need a 'huge' NT? What impression has Wade given that he needs a 335 lb guy in the middle? We just finished 4th in the league in run defense and held Ray Rice to 60 yds on 21 carries in a road playoff game.

Wade seems perfectly content to run with smaller guys (if 300 is small) because that's how he likes to run his front. Why not a guy like Jerel Worthy, who is a much better prospect?

I don't really see NT as an immediate need, unless you're talking about a mid-round prospect for depth.

As for Cliff Harris, I think people overrate his coverage skills because he can return kicks. He has good coverage skills for a guy who also returns kicks, but he is not on the same level as Claiborne IMO. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but he's not on that level when it comes to coverage. He is a ball hawk though.
Where do you get that Wade is content? He played with what he had & used picks for more desperate need and who can blame his choices of Watt & Reed? A NT takes a tremendous pounding as he blocks 2 and often 3 opponents.

A big NT in 3-4 is like having a big, fast RB in our offense. Smaller guys can do all right but when we got Foster, Tate and Ward we see how that worked much better. Many Texans observers on MB have noted that Wade did well with offense but much of it is fooling the O. That will work for a while but sometime a Power player is needed. Our run defense is predicated on ILBs helping to plug the run to support our NT. Mitchell always looks better when he can go strong at the QB in passing downs and with slides against angle runs. He does not do as well straight up against RBs. This why Cody is the main guy against run. A Poe or Ta'Amu would be great.

Harris is not Claiborne but who is? Still Harris has very good cover skills and could be a shut down corner. He does not like to run to the ball to tackle but I want my CBs to focus on eliminating the pass.