View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012   #8
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Special Teams Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
OK, so we've had Joe Marciano here since the beginning, and I know we all have sympathy for his family situation, but I'm of the opinion that this has been his worst season of coaching. The return game never did anything, even when he had his returners of choice back there. And it would appear from today's game that he never prepared another returner to step up in the event that Jacoby Jones became unavailable. I don't know if it falls on Kubiak that Jacoby Jones kept getting put back out there or if that's on Marciano. I do know that Kubiak could have benched Jacoby and did not. We saw Jones on the field as a WR at various points as well.

Above and beyond all this, actually, did we watch a single game this season without a kick return being called back for a block in the back? If it's a time or two, that's completely on the players. We saw that with Manning getting JoJo's INT return called back. But every single game, I think we watched one or more kick returns called back due to that penalty. At some point, you have to look past the players, I think.

Anyway, your thoughts?
I actually think special teams were better this year than last - punt and kickoff coverage mostly. I would guess that our opponent's average starting field position was considerably better (for us) than last year, and while defense was a part of that, so was kick coverage.

But I was hoping last year would be his last year, and in spite of the improvement, I'm still hoping this year will be his last year.