Re: My New Mock
1. Allen, I honestly haven't even looked at the TE prospects this year because it's not a team need. I don't like this pick because even if we lose Dreesen in FA we still have OD, Graham, and Casey. The only way this pick makes sense is if we lose Dreesen and OD, then we'd have need for a #1 TE.
Sure it is. #1 team need for me is another pair of hands to catch the ball. Does it really matter if it's a TE instead of a WR? I don't think so. There's the added bonus of him being a good blocker, impacting more than just receiving. And for how much this team relies on TEs, you get the best TE in the draft instead of a mid level WR. He's an impact player in the redzone, great route runner, reliable hands. OD gets beaten up and is getting closer to old than to young. Casey is not a true TE and Graham is a decent depth guy. There's a bunch of reasons why this is a good pick.
2. Jones, I love the player but don't think theirs any way he's still available late in the 2nd round. I think he goes in the 1st round or very early 2nd round at the latest.
Pretty sure I said that. Would you be opposed to any of the other players I listed?
3. Miller, again I have doubts that he's still available. I think he goes in the late 2nd or very early 3rd round. If available he's a good pick at a need and good value this late. I think many teams will be looking at him to play OT thus going earlier.
There's going to be a run of WRs taken in the 2nd/3rd round...it'll push somebody down!
4. Brown, I don't know anything about him but another mid round CB isn't going to bring anything to the team that Allen, KJ, Carmichael, Harris, McCain, or McManus can't do. We've got lots of mid round CB talent, we need elite level talent and that's very hard to come by.
It's my understanding he's a high round talent getting brought down a few levels by an unfortunate circumstance.
5. Maze, again we've already got lots of mid round developmental WR talent, JJ, B. Johnson, Maehl, Jean, etc... Also the height issue, why do we want a 5'08" WR.
So of the guys you have here JJ-I'm trying to replace with a kick returner, Bryant Johnson was a first round pick and Maehl/Jean were undrafted. So the only midlevel guy we have I'm trying to replace. 5'8'' maybe be a big hurdle to overcome but at least the guy has football skills. If Trindon Holliday got a look.....
6. Diehl, I like the player but not the pick I think that he can be had as an UDFA. He's very one dimensional.
Why get into a bidding war when all it would take is a 6th or 7th? I'm hiring him for that one dimension, so that's not an issue with me. I think he adds to the backfield without taking away from anyone else. Except Vickers, who got his job taken lol....This is also a 2nd indirect boost to the run blocking. This one particularly strengthens the inside running game, which is not a strength.
7. Scott, I don't know anything about this guy either but I like the position chosen as a late round #3 RB to replace Ward.
Yeah, he actually sounds like a young Ward...like when DW still had some speed.
Only 1 defensive player chosen? Sorry I'm not a fan of this draft.
Yeah and that got me too but a chance to take an offense that already rolls people and pick it up a notch while relying on a defense that is already bloated with 1st round picks and top dollar free agent signings seemed to be too good to pass up. What better way to answer the defense heavy/defensive improvement that's gotten us into the playoffs? This mock might not go over well but I assure you, it's carefully thought out.