View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012   #160
technosailor
Ravens Fan

Rep Power: 0 technosailor is a quality contributor and well respectedtechnosailor is a quality contributor and well respectedtechnosailor is a quality contributor and well respectedtechnosailor is a quality contributor and well respectedtechnosailor is a quality contributor and well respectedtechnosailor is a quality contributor and well respectedtechnosailor is a quality contributor and well respectedtechnosailor is a quality contributor and well respectedtechnosailor is a quality contributor and well respectedtechnosailor is a quality contributor and well respectedtechnosailor is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Roll call of those going up to Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
HoustonRaven I have a question for you. On the Mighty Gwinnett show on 790AM here in town, the host Dylan Gwinn really ragged on your hometown saying its the skid mark of the US and the only things there are crab cakes and strip clubs. The host was born and raised in D.C.

I was just wondering if there was a Dallas-Houston type of rivalry where the people in each city hate the other town. Also, do Ravens fans dislike the Redskins like we dislike the Cowboys even though we rarely play them.
Redskins fans give a crap more about Ravens fans than vica versa. It's kinda silly. Two different conferences, two different divisions. The Ravens were born out of territorialism (Jack Kent Cooke convinced Tagliabue not to allow an expansion team in Baltimore by famously saying, "I'd rather see a team in Mexico City than in Baltimore"). Since the 96 inaugural season, though, the Ravens franchise has been nothing but a model for a winning mentality (even when we weren't winning). The Redskins don't have that same culture. So a lot of animosity is directed towards the Ravens because they have nothing better to do than hate other teams. The Ravens just stay focused on winning.

Funny story... Back in, like 2009, the Redskins came to Baltimore during the regular season... a rare matchup, and the first regular season matchup in Baltimore, IIRC. I had a tradition, living in DC, that I would go watch the game in Baltimore during away games (avoid parking hassles) and stay back in DC for home games. I couldn't watch this game in DC though, so I went to Baltimore.

I was at the Ravens fan flagship bar, Mothers in Fed Hill, and a bunch of Skins fans parted the packed crowd, got in a big circle and started singing Hail to the Redskins at the top of their lungs. Ultimate disrespect for the home team to do that in our bar. A few Ravens fans (and Skins fans) ended up getting tossed for a tussle that ensued. That's the only time I've seen any real rivalry from both sides... it's almost always Redskins fans towards Ravens fans.

As for your sports reporter, I'd remind him that when he lived in DC, DC was a hell-hole itself. Both cities have improved. Baltimore has a nice up and coming arts, music and entreprenurial scene. DC has a nice up and coming cloak-and-dagger election scene, a fading music scene and a public transportation system that is so mechanically and financially destitute that people are literally dying.