View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012   #5
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Derek Wolfe, DE/DT, Cincinnati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
He was BB's pick in the 2nd round of his latest mock. I haven't seen Wolfe play but everything I read on him is very positive, he sounds like he'll make someone a great 3-4 DE. This is a down year for D-line talent as such I think he'll go in the early 2nd round, before we pick. Even if he did fall to us in the 2nd round I think we have bigger issues on the O-line, and NT than a backup DE that will seldomly see the field. Good player pick but we've got bigger issues than DE depth. JMO.

This is what everyone was saying last year.

I posted this 2 days ago in the 'Who do the Texans take with the 32nd pick in the 2012 Draft?" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Wolfe (JJ Watt clone)
Kuechly ( reminds me of zack Thomas )
Worthy ( a bigger Antonio Smith)
Those are my late first guys that you don't hear about much but are going to shoot up the draft board at the combine.
You can never have enough DL like this especially with our defensive scheme. The fresher you can keep your front seven for the end of games and more importantly, the late season/playoffs, the better off you are. Besides Antonio Smith is on the wrong side of 30 now and if him or Watt were to go down for an extended amount of time we would be in trouble.

I'm always for beefing up the trenches but if it came down to OL or DL

The OL was one of the best in the NFL this year.

It is unlikely anyone we would draft late in the first would beat out any of our current starters despite what you think.

Either position is most likely going to be depth at least the first year or two.

DL's use a rotation of players, OL doesn't. Therefore DL would get the most immediate reps.

Antonio Smith is on the wrong side of 30 now.

Wolfe has the size to play inside or out. He's just as big as Cody so who's to say he couldn't beat out Cody?

I hate youtube highlights and know that you can't judge a palyer solely on them but you should check him out.