View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012   #39
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should Derrick Ward Get More Carries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I am just curious why he has not been getting any carries it seems like to me. I have seen him in the game on special teams but not really running the football. Tate and Foster both rock but Ward would keep both of them fresh and look at how many running backs New Orleans uses during their games. Any thoughts? I am just wondering but not complaining about it. Thanks.
Don't use New Orleans as your measuring stick. They have three totally different kinds of RBs.

- P. Thomas is kind of like Tate, IMHO. Can run outside or between the tackles.
- Chris Ivory is their bull. Straight ahead, run over anyone in the way, type guy. Tate does that for us at times too.
- Pierre Thomas is the definitive "change-of-pace" RB. Much quicker than Thomas and much faster than Ivory. Just as much of a serious threat "in space" than Reggae Bush ever was; maybe moreso. Foster can do this for us because of his smooth moves. But even Arian isn't as quick as Sproles is.

IMHO, Ward is a "system back". He excels at getting the most out of how the play is designed to work, by letting his blockers do their jobs and taking advantage of whatever is there. He's not really going to run over anyone like Tate or fake defenders out a la Arian. And he sure isn't quick like Sproles.

All that to say that, Ward, while he's good in our system, doesn't bring anything extra special to the table that would warrant taking touches away from Foster or Tate and giving them to him.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote