View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012   #24
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pressure without blitzing

Blitzing is sending more rushers than available blockers. I think generally that refers to total but I think overloading one side of the line, say sending 3 or 4 against a OT/OG on one side is also technically blitzing.

One thing the Texans do a lot is delayed rushing. Cushing and Reed do this a lot, they'll read what the backs are doing and if they stay in to protect the LBer will charge in hopes of cleaning up the pocket or taking out screen passes. Really, the design was just to rush 3 or 4 but during the play 5 or even 6 will blitz the ball. They didn't blitz often, which I didn't expect at all but great things came from the pressure. Maybe it was the extra man in coverage giving them time or just the blitz getting after it to create bad throws but getting sacks and INTs, the blitz feeding off the coverage, the coverage taking advantage of a QB dodging blitzers....it was just some nice defense!!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote