View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011   #47
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Does Kubiak Deserve an Extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
The 2009 extension delivered a 6-10 season in 2010. In 2011 Phillips showed up and a ten win season was delivered. That is all we know at this point.

It's McNair's money with no bearing on the cap, but he certainly is in the driver's seat to wait. As someone vested since day one I do not want to witness a ten win season every ten or six years.

There is no need to extend at this point.
Again, there was no more reason to extend after 2009 (if anything, less reason than after this season), yet it happened.

In McNair's mind, it could also well be that the extension is viewed as leading to the 11-5 or 10-6 season as well as to the 6-10 season, and since it's a what have you done for me lately league, the more recent one would trump 2010. Wade's contribution has to be clearly recognized as well, and based on my perception of McNair formed after watching him over the past 10 seasons, I believe his response to this season will be to extend both Gary and Wade in an attempt to keep a successful partnership intact as long as he can. He will up Wade's salary in an attempt to get him to stick around long term (even though he's already the highest paid DC in the NFL), and give Kubes enough of a raise to get him to agree to another two years (at least).

Please note that this is not a what "should" happen scenario as I'm much more interested in trying to understand what those actually in a position to impact things are thinking than I am in forming opinions of my own that ultimately are worthless. Although I will say the idea of Kubiak and Phillips continuing in their current roles for another two or three years doesn't bother me one little bit.