View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011   #38
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Does Kubiak Deserve an Extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I voted "no" because I don't think his body of work justifies keeping him.

The responses to this thread, and this one in particular made me think

I don't think Wade is going anywhere but even if he does you can imagine that more than likely we've seen the last of first time "I think I can do it" DC's around these parts. McNair this year saw results instantly from the arrival of one man who knew what he was doing. Wade told them who he wanted in the draft. Wade told them who he wanted in free agency. Wade coached his defense and Wade changed the entire franchise outlook in the process.

Our biggest problem this season has been injuries and I hold those against no coach. Not even the ones I don't particularly care for. That stuff just happens.

Does anyone think that Wade could leave and that Gary & Rick would be able to go see McNair and say "We know this one guy who used to coach defensive backs at Denver and we think he might make a good DC. He's never done it before but we have a lot of faith in him"?

I don't think that dog is going to hunt anymore. At least I hope to hell it won't.

With that major change in place I think the single biggest shortcoming Gary has is resolved. The man might be an offensive genius. He might be able to coach a QB up like nobody else. He might have his team 100% behind him and inspire loyalty from them in any situation but he doesn't know **** about hiring a DC or coaching a defense. You take that out of his hands and you're probably looking at a coach who is good enough to win in this league.

That coach will get an extension and in a couple more years will actually deserve it.
Great Post & rep your way. I don't think it's so much Wade Phillips as it is a guy who knows what he's doing on that side of the ball. & if wade does go anywhere else i'm pretty sure McNair's not going for Kubes & Smith's banana in the tailpipe routine again. The person who steps in for wade will likely be a guy who's done it before & had success.

In any event, if wade does decide to leave after a few years we'll be looking at some great candidates to replace him...most notably I Steve Spagnuolo will be gone from STL if they fail again this year.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote