View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011   #203
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade IS More Valuable Than Kubiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Well fine then, so you're suggesting that it was impossible to throw down the field because you're O line is complete shit than is what you're saying and you can't even trust them at all. Is that where we're at now, because I remember all year hearing this O line get a lot of praise. When you're trying to win a game you have to have some confidence in your team to make plays. You're talking as if it was a given that it would have been a sack if Yates would have been able to throw down the field. Sorry, but that's exactly what I'm talking about when people say "playing to lose" and playing like a "turtle." And I was referring more to Kubiak's turtle approach of running the ball on 3rd down when you need a first down. That's always pathetic. Throw the damn ball and give your offense a chance to move the chains. By running the ball you're essentially saying that we're going to punt and try to let our defense win this game for us. Unless your offense is inside their own 5 on 3rd down I'll never excuse running the ball on 3rd and long.
This isn't baseball where the move you make as a manager is pretty much set in stone & is blatantly obvious. There were tons of reasons why that last drive, you do what was done.

#1 the most obvious...you're depending on a 3rd string rookie qb. The mention of that alone should be enough but lets elaborate. Yates has been shaky at best these last 2 games as teams have started to get more tape on him & take away what he likes to do. Do you really want him slinging it around after he just came off a game where he threw 2 picks...1 of which in the red zone? Going further, on that last drive he luckily escaped an int on tipped pass to Walter that wound up in JJ's hands to convert our only 3rd down of the night. Oh, by the way, if you go back & look at that pass, it was horrifically inaccurate......well behind KW & i'm honestly surprised KW even got a hand on it.

#2 Your o-line has been pass blocking pretty pathetic...Winston had already given up a sack fumble (& he had help with a chip from Dressen too) & Caldwell was getting eaten alive in pass & run blocking. That last drive, we were already in FG range at that point...make sure to get the points, don't let anyone screw that up...which leads into reason # 3.

#3 you're already winning the game!!!....barely...but you are winning & you have the #1 ranked defense at your disposal & it has become the strength of your team at this point in the season. what's wrong with Leaning on that?

#4 & people haven't even looked at this....scoring a TD on that last drive or at any time in the 4th likely would've sealed the game (8 out of 10 times) but it doesn't put it out of reach for the colts, so there's no "trying to win the game" argument to even be made here. even if we do score 7 on that last drive, the colts still could've come back to tie it up if they somehow march down the field, score a TD & are successful on a 2 pt. conversion.....but who's thinking that's even possible at this point? They hadn't been in the end zone all game, they have no TO's & they have Dan freakin' Orlovsky at the helm.....Oops.

#5 running the ball wasn't just about going into a shell & trying to run clock to barely get out of there. I think it had more to do with getting the ball in your best playmaker's hands i.e. Arian Foster who'd already run all over the Colts defense to the tune of 100+ yards & a TD. The only thing you can argue here is that he could've done the same thing in the passing game as well.........but is hitting arian on 3 yd. screen plays & square ins really opening the playbook up? Nope, its just a long hand off is all.

#6 Last year after the game monday night against the colts, all we heard from fans is "why did Kubiak only give Arian 5 carries in the 2nd half?" or something to that effect; this was largely based on the well known fact that the Colts couldn't stop the run & Arian was a monster. This year the colts defense is arguably even worse than it was last year & we try to take advantage of that & what do we hear??? "oh, well he should've opened the playbook & passed downfield more.." Are you kidding me?

Honestly, i believe some of you guys don't know if you're coming or going.