View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011   #113
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade IS More Valuable Than Kubiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Helps when the GM went out and got 2 studs in free agency. Or was Wade Phillips in charge of that, too?
Danieal Manning was quoted in the last two weeks that he specifically wanted to play in Houston after Wade was hired as DC.

This draft and FA has Wade's fingerprints all over it. The GM's job is to acquire the talent that the coaches evaluate, not sign guys and force them to fit in a coach's system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
These last games did not matter... We were going to be #3 seed no matter what
Regardless of your rather weak straw man argument to distract from your original point (above), what you said was incorrect.

The last two games did matter in playoff positioning.

It is a completely different subject about the significance of playoff positions and homefield advantage based on recent NFL history, but that was not the point that you made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
It's not Kubiak alone that brought success. It's the combo of Wade and Kubiak. And if I could keep the combo together "forever" (or for at least another 4-5 years) I would.

Another key piece of the puzzle that's being totally ignored in this discussion is the gathering of the right personnel. Show me any team that you think turned around in one year, or even two, and I'll show you where they either already had a decent talent pool (the Steelers when Cowher took over) or had sucked so long they'd been drafting in the top ten for years (Detroit, San Francisco, Tom Landry's early Cowboys).

You cannot turn a sow's ear into a silk purse until you gather up a lotta damn silk.
Some coaches are good at acquiring talent. Other coaches excel at doing something meaningful with that talent. The great ones are good at both aspects.

So far, Kubiak has shown to be a good OC and offensive talent evaluator. As a HC, his history has clearly been mediocre, and by the grace of Wade, above average this season.

As far as the Landry angle, I think comparing modern head coaches to pre-Super Bowl coaches is misguided and ultimately intellectually vacant. It's a different league today.

Plus, Landry was a football genius. Let's just leave him up high where he belongs and keep him out of the comparisons with mere mortals like Gary Kubiak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
The "Fire Kubiak" contingent has had all of their hatred bottled up over a 7 game win streak and now that a few games have been dropped they feel justified in starting up again instead of getting behind the team and waiting until the results are in, or the season is over to make an "Evaluation"
It is silly to act like someone is not a Texans fan if they dislike the head coach. I guess you've got the biggest pom pom of them all?

Fans can root for the team with all their hearts while their heads continue to analyze various aspects of the franchise. Not everyone lives in a black and white world.