View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011   #68
Fico
Rookie

Rep Power: 1386 Fico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiaks top Priority Sunday: Beat Titans or rest Starters for W-C Playoff game ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
You can't pick one instance and say that because it happened then, it will - or even should - happen now. In 1988, the Oilers lost to the Browns in the regular season finale to finish 10-6 only to come back and beat them one week later in the first round of the playoffs. The regular season game was on the road, and because they lost, the playoff game was also in Cleveland. Something I find rather interesting about that playoff win was that it was only the second time since 1979 that the Oilers had won a game on the road against a team with a winning record. Seems like I've seen a vaguely similar statistic floating around this season regarding the Kubiak coached Texans.

In my perfect world, the Texans would never lose, but we all know how close to reality that's been since 2002. Yeah, I'd like to see the Texans beat the Titans on Sunday, but if they win the following weekend, I can probably live with whatever happens this Sunday.
In your post you pointed to a game in which the Oilers most definitely played to win and came up short. As a result they had to travel to Cleveland and win one of the most exciting Wild Card games ever. Do you think it ever crossed the Oiler's mind that they should "rest" in that final regular season game.

You went back 22 years to pick a game that indicates that the particular team in question approached that game as I think they should, in other words they played to win.

I gave you a recent example of a team who laid down becuase they had a spot locked up, got thrashed, then proceeded to get beat again by the very team against whom they "rested" against.

I also provided another recent example of a team playing their ass off in a loss to the Patriots, whom carried that momentum into the playoffs and won a Super Bowl. Exactly the same scenario you presented with the 1988 Cleveland vs Oilers game.

We need to play hard, we need to play to win, and most importantly we need to win the game.

We will get this team on track by beating the a division foe and by keeping them out of the playoffs. If you have the chance to eliminate someone you do, no questions asked.

Could you imagine the uproar if we "rest" our guys they beat us and make it in the playoffs? Then they end up playing us and beating us...... Getting knocked out by a team in our division because we didn't play the last regular season game hard. That is not likely to happen but it could, so why don't we eliminate the chance of that happening all together play to win.
Fico is offline   Reply With Quote