View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011   #76
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade IS More Valuable Than Kubiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Yes, Wade is definitely more valuable as a DC than Kubiak is as a Head Coach.

More valuable as a HC than Kubiak? Probably.

More valuable as a HC with an unnamed OC compared to Kubiak with Wade as DC? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.

Would Kubiak stay as OC if we made Wade the Head Coach? I dunno, but I doubt that too.

I don't want to give up on the combination of Wade AND Kubiak, regardless of their order. I think they are as good as it gets. If we had a starting QB--no offense to Yates--I think we'd be VERY happy with both of them.
Agreed...

It took this organization ten years to find a combination that works; i.e., led to a division championship/playoff berth. Ten damned, painful years.

And now we finally have a combination of coaches and players that is formidable.

In my mind, we have a two-headed head coach. McNair all but said as much back in January...
Quote:
(on how important it might be to get a defensive coordinator with head coaching experience) “I think that a person with that background brings a lot to the table, because your head coach is in a unique position, and to have someone on his staff who’s been in that same position and understands what he’s going through when he has some tough questions that he has to answer, it’s someone he can go to and sit down and discuss some of those issues and know that they have a common background. So I think it adds quite a bit.”
Also Uncle Bob seemed to be perfectly happy with our offense...
Quote:
(on why he released the four defensive coaches and what criteria he’ll use in hiring their replacements) “When you look at our team and ask the question, ‘What is the problem here?’, it’s pretty clear. Our offense is the third-ranked offense in the league. We’ve got some offensive weapons that some other teams would love to have. If you take our quarterback Matt Schaub, our running back Arian Foster, our wide receiver Andre Johnson, our tight ends Owen Daniels and Joel Dreessen, and throw (TE) James Casey in there, you take those four positions, and what team in the league has got better players at those four positions? Not just picking one of them, but at all four of those positions, you’d be hard-pressed to find somebody that’s better equipped at those four positions. So we’ve got an awful lot of talent that’s still young, and the problem that we’ve had is that we haven’t been able to stop the other team. They’ve been scoring 28, 29 points a game (on) average. You just can’t do that and win in the NFL. So clearly, we weren’t getting the job done on defense. We just had to make a change, and we’re going to bring in an experienced, proven defensive coordinator that has had good, solid defenses throughout his career.”
All that to say, Uncle Bob has found a combo that he thinks works. And since that combo brought him (and the city of Houston) his (and it's) first double-digit win season and division championship in nearly a generation, he's keepin' both of 'em.

And I don't blame him.

Good luck trying to talk him into breaking up his newly found matched pair.

And <shudder> should Wade leave for yet another head coaching gig, I'll bet you all my lottery winnings (which total about $20 at the moment) that he goes after another fired head coach with a defensive background. I doubt we'll ever experiment with elevating a position coach to defensive coordinator again.

Too bad it took Uncle Bob ten years to figure this out. But, hey, better late than never.