View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011   #35
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Priority needs for 2012 Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I think Wade has 2 different types of NT's based on the down/yardage and field position. Cody plays 1st and 2nd downs and Mitchell comes into the game on 3rd downs or obvious passing downs. Cody plays the run better because of his size/strength, he can hold up to the pounding better than Mitchell, and Mitchell plays passing downs because he's quicker and better at penetrating and putting pressure on the QB. Now it would obviously be nice to have one NT that could do both and be an every down player but those type of guys are rare and no I don't see a Ngata type of player in this draft. I still think there are several DT/NT players depending on round that can fit our style of defense. In the 1st round Brandon Thompson from Clemson is the obvious pick since he could possibly be a 3 down NT, he's got size, quickness, athleticism, strength for the double teams. In the 2nd round Josh Chapman from Alabama could be our guy, he holds up to the double teams well, gets good leverage, and is very strong. Chapman can also collapse the pocket from time to time. In the 3rd round Sylvester Williams from UNC looks good, he's got the size and athleticism to penetrate and play the run, not sure if he's powerful enough to collapse the pocket but all of these guys on an NFL strength and conditioning program should be able to add some size/strength/agility. Dontari Poe from Memphis is anther guy to look for, I haven't seen him play, but I read that he's got the size and athleticism to handle NT in the NFL. Poe is a bit of a mystery though having no film on him to watch and he played against lesser competition, but from what I read he's got potential and could go in the 2nd round or possibly with a great Combine in the 1st round if he decides to come out, he's a junior. If you want the big 2 gap traditional NT then Alameda Ta'amu from Washington is your man. Ta'amu was a 1st round prospect most of the season but is falling on draft boards because I think people are realizing that he's got 1st round size but 3rd round skills. He's huge and strong, can play the run and collapse the pocket occasionally but also slow and non-athletic.

Question:

How important is NT to us in this draft, where is it on your priority list 2nd round, 3rd round, late round? Where do you see us drafting, mid 20's or early 20's?

Also my priority list keeps changing, it was WR, NT, OG now it's becoming WR, OG, NT
There is a better chance of a everydown NT being available in 1st rd. vs 2nd vs whichever WR is on still on the board. even Todd McShay is mocking Texans selecting a OT instead of reaching for a WR too early (Zebrie Sanders, Florida State, 6056 300).

Texans should have their pick of NT group. You know the drill, they will evaluate group, then rank them on their draft board weighting position perhaps just below WR.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote