Thread: TJ Yates
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011   #567
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates

Alan's Blog

Quote:
Kubiak's mentorship gives Yates confidence

We've known for a while that Texans head coach Gary Kubiak is a quarterback's coach.

But we haven't seen such a stark example of what Kubiak can do with a young quarterback until this T.J. Yates thing started taking shape last week against Atlanta.

These two guys seem to be made for each other.

“It’s awesome," Yates replied when asked after the game yesterday how helpful is it to have a head coach who was a former quarterback.

"During timeouts, (Kubiak) is always filling my head with reminders and little things that help me calm down," said Yates. "He’s sees the game through a quarterback’s mind. He’s knows what I’m thinking out there. It really helps because he has the right thing to say, which gives me confidence.”

Yates gave a prime example of how Kubiak's tutoring paid off in a big way.

On the Texans game winning drive Sunday at Cincinnati, Yates converted a huge 3rd and 15 by scrambling for 17 yards and a first down in Bengals territory with less than a minute remaining.

“On that scramble, (Kubiak) said if they were playing two (safeties) deep, that I should just take off," said Yates. "That really helped me to make that decision quicker.”

Many of us have been critical of Kubiak over the years for being too much of a quarterbacks coach/offensive coordinator and not enough of a head coach.

There were questions about whether Kubiak had the right persona to be the head guy.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...tes-confidence
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote