Thread: TJ Yates
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011   #393
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 277266 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
When did I ever say SB or bust?? I never said anything about expecting to go to the SB. I never even expected to go with Matt Schaub even, because I don't trust Kubiak as a game day coach in a post season atmosphere.
Well, you mentioned Super Bowl in your first paragraph a couple of times, so it appeared your expectations were higher than mine at this point. No desire to paint you in a picture that you were not a part of, though.

Quote:
Good for you. We all are, but I'm not expecting this ride to go that far once we make it to the post season, and I won't really be upset about that considering the circumstances.
Yeah, it is good for me. I do not live vicariously through my sports team. It's nothing more than entertainment at the end of the day, and my "job" as a fan is to root for the team. I'm just not going to dwell in negative thoughts right now. Not saying you are, but I don't think that being optimistic right now equates to being fake, which is what you seemed to imply.

Quote:
Does this mean just making the playoffs was what the expectations always were?? I'd hope not knowing that we're in year 6 of this regime. I've heard you state otherwise in the past. We have lost two QB's though, so I can understand a "just playoffs" attitude at this point. But I really don't care to hear about it being the first time in franchise history and all of that. Who cares. If you get to the playoffs, you don't get happy just to be there. You go out there expecting to be able to compete and win in the playoffs. This year we simply don't have a quality seasoned QB, and it's just not going to be in the cards for us.
This is the rant I referred to in my last point.

Some of us do get to be happy just to get to the playoffs. We have not seen a postseason game in almost two decades in this city.

I'm not going to apologize for being happy to finally achieve a goal that has eluded this franchise for a decade.

Quote:
I'm not tearing him down. I'm just stating the obvious. Yates was no superstar rookie coming into this league in the first place. He was a later round draft pick that just happens to play for the Texans and now has become our starter. Let's be honest if he played for the Titans or some other team like the Vikings, no one in here would have any strong confidence in that team to make a strong run in the playoffs. Who are we kidding here? Stating the obvious isn't tearing Yates down. It's just having low expectations, because he's a 5th round rookie being thrown to the wolves without hardly any experience. Hell, he didn't even get a proper pre season to get acclimated. Some of the best QB's of all time would fail miserably in this situation as rookies even.
My point was that Yates does not have to be a superstar. We have the kind of defense that can win games. Trent Dilfer has a ring because he rode the coattails of a fantastic defense. Brad Johnson, too. Neither of these dudes would ever be confused for superstar QBs. But, they were solid game managers that did not cost their teams games because of mistakes.

Is it really that unrealistic to hope that Yates can at least be as competent as Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer?

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're getting at in this part. I don't know what you're referring to that I said.
It was not referring to what you said, but what you might say...which you did in this post.