Thread: TJ Yates
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011   #374
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Because he's a 5th round rookie being thrown into the fire, and I don't play the just have faith and confidence just to have it, because it's my team act. Even if I tried, I'd know that deep down I was being fake and forcing optimism into something I didn't believe in. The Texans hopes for a playoff run to the SB are over and I've accepted that. They were pretty much over when Schaub went down and we had Leinart. With Leniart though, I felt pretty good and felt that if he got hot that maybe he could win a playoff game or so, but in no shape or form did I think that he could lead the Texans to a SB this season, but I was excited to see what Leinart could do either way.

With TJ Yates, sorry, but you're setting yourself up for a big let down. He's a rookie that's being thrown to the wolves.

If I told you that TJ Yates would have to be the guy that takes this team to the SB before the season you'd have laughed at me. Now all of a sudden the Texans are 8-3 and people want to feel like there is a chance, well yeah there is always a snowball's chance, but to honestly feel like this TJ Yates kid could go into the playoffs and beat these top AFC teams is not being realistic. Even the best of the rookies barely ever even make the playoffs much less go to a SB. It doesn't happen and it aint gonna happen.

You can talk about how great the defense is and the running game and other things, but playoff games are going to be close and in the post season it almost always comes down to what you're QB can do in the clutch and down the stretch. It's not even fair to remotely expect a rookie like TJ Yates to go out there and take this team anywhere.
I guess we are different in that I do not maintain the SuperBowl-or-bust mentality.

I don't see optimism as fake, but rather just enjoying the ride.

I just want to see this team in the playoffs for once.

Not that I don't want them to win in the playoffs, but it is a goal right now just to achieve a playoff berth for the first time in franchise history.

We are also different in that I'm not choosing to expect anything from TJ Yates. I cannot pump him up, but I also cannot tear him down right now. I see some positive aspects, some negative aspects, but we differ in that I reserve judgment until given something tangible to base judgment on.

I will only be letdown if this team fails to make the playoffs. How they get there and what they do after that are not my focus. I just want to get that monkey off our back of 'never been to the post season'.

And please, do not give me some rant about fans and lowered expectations. We watch the game. We do not play these games. What we think as fans is completely irrelevant to affect the final score.

This stuff is just entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less.