View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011   #59
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lions' Suh suspended two games for Thanksgiving stomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
flip it and it goes both ways too. Don't let the current day players lift weights or do any modern day training or eat high protein meals and you won't have 330 pound guys playing against the Jack Lambert's either.
I disagree. I think the back ups and the 3rd stringers of today could have done a lot more against the guys in the 60's and the 70's. I think there is a level of athleticism that is greater today, and as I mentioned before we have a much higher population now than what we had back then which creates more competition all around the country. More guys grew up playing football and having to compete against a lot more people than what guys had to back then, so you had to be that much greater of a player at your position because there are a lot more people that you're competing against. There weren't as many kids growing up playing organized football back then like there are now. Today's athletes have a much bigger field of competition to rise to the top amongst.

I don't know if you watch a lot of MMA, but I've been a huge fan of that sport for a long time, and the growth of it has been so crazy just in the last 6 years. You're seeing so many fighters that are so much more advanced in all aspects of the sport. A lot of it has to do with the evolving training methods, the advanced training from masters of every discipline that are training these guys which is similar to what we talked about in football. However, another huge part of that is the fact that so many people now are getting into MMA all over the world and especially in this country to where the competition is literally doubling and multiplying every year with this rapid growth creating a much higher standard to be considered good. Just 8 years ago, some of the guys that would be coming right into big time promotion companies wouldn't stand a chance now days, because the up and comers are that much better because the standard of how good you have to be now days is at a much higher level because there are so many guys competing now days. 8 or 9 years ago some guys could get really good because of superior athleticism and not have to train as hard as some guys in technique, and then you had guys that had such great technique that they could easily out due so many guys with great strength and athleticism. Now days you have to have both and there are no short cuts, because the level of competition has evolved and also increased in numbers tremendously where it will keep raising the bar of how skilled and athletic you have to be in this sport.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote