View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011   #47
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lions' Suh suspended two games for Thanksgiving stomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I had a coach tell me that when defensive players raise their hands to bat balls punch them in the stomach. He said that'd keep them From doing it again.

Never did it though.

I never felt comfortable doing something to someone that would piss me off and make me want to fight if done to me.

Plus, some of the better coaches I've had convinced the team that revenge is much sweeter when handled legally between the whistles.

Guys want you to stoop their level and when you don't and simply kick their ass on the field, it demoralizes them. You can see it all in their eyes.
I tell my kid to try to pancake guys who stand up tall and raise their hands. I'd never advocate punching them in the gut and I find it hard to believe a real coach is teaching players to take punches at people. That kind of stuff gets you kicked out of games. I've been around a ton of coaches, been in many practices and watched hundreds of practices and I've never seen anyone advocate blatant dirty play.

If a guy stands tall or raises his hands and jumps while standing upright, get under him and drive him into the turf....if a guy falls, fall on him and knock his wind out so he is breathing hard the next play. You don't punch people nor do you stomp on anyone. I believe in being physical as hell, but there is no place for dirty play unless you are a low character guy. There is a difference in being physically tough and being dirty. I don't think there are many coaches teaching dirty play. Physical? certainly. Dirty? no way. The Parents are watching all lover level football and that's a fast way to the door for a HC coaching HS or Jr High.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote