Thread: TJ Yates
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011   #181
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I watched Virginia Tech in 2008 which is a game where he was pretty decent. Made a couple of errant throws, but overall he was good.

And I watched Virginia Tech last year. He threw 4 ints in this game, but some of those weren't his fault so I'm not holding him up to his stats.

I also watched a youtube clip on him from last year that shows all of his throws and runs against Clemson.

I've already explained what I saw in regards to his inaccuracy. His footwork wasn't sound at all times and it led to some errant throws (mostly low) which again is normal for a lot of Quarterbacks. I'm confident Kubiak's work has gotten him squared away.
Oh I agree that Yates still has a lot he can improve on.
From his footwork to his eye movement, etc.

But let's not forget that he lost his number one receiver (Greg Little, who is now doing quite well in the NFL) and his number TE (we know that the TE is very important in the WCO).
Not only that, he lost 4 RBs (yes, FOUR) during the year - and the RBs are also very important in the WCO.

His receivers consisted of a Jr, 2 Soph, and a Fr (and mistated earlier that it was one Jr and 3 Sophs).

He had to get in sync with new targets, and nothing can help except more reps together.
What he accomplished in his Sr. year was pretty astounding given those facts.

On the other hand, if he was even more accurate, he would have been drafted a lot higher.

I think the Texans were fortunate to find a guy they can work with (not saying that he's sure to turn out to be a legit NFL starter.)

If he can improve the way Schaub had, I think I'm going to like it!

BTW, once in a long while, on the deep ball, Yates would bring the ball back a bit too low on his hip and ended up with a long-winded throwing motion like Schaub used to do (and still does occasionally).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote