View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011   #490
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Penn State Child Molestation Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Hmmm. I didn't know there was a distinction. Most of what I've seen says that police have jurisdiction in the county in which they're employed (even if employed by a city). So, a College Station police officer could not arrest (except as a citizen's arrest) in Austin, for instance. Whereas an A&M police officer would have jursidiction in most if not all of the state.
Well, most of what you've seen and what people consider common knowledge is wrong and reinforced by television and movies. That "Get across the county line and they can't touch you" plot device is very convenient but in Texas it's just not true. Texas Peace Officer means exactly what it says. Your authority is derived from the state, your paycheck from the agency that pays you. I used to do this and that's what we were taught. I don't believe anything has changed in that regard.