View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011   #473
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Penn State Child Molestation Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
Thanks for your post. I disagree when comparing campus police to a municipal police department. As per the McCready and the local police denying that he made a report story right now, I have learned that Penn State's force is, as I suspected, employed by Penn State directly so they are merely puppets with all the powers that you have mentioned above (as well as I have). If you are employed by the campus then you are a rent-a-cop.

In the case of UH, they have more authority than HPD because they are run and employed by the DPS. They are actually DPS officers. I have received my fair share of scolding because our fraternity has had plenty of run-ins with the UH police.
I think this statement is the root of all the confusion in this discussion. Rent-A-Cops, in most people's minds, are security guards - mall cops - even armed guards. Police officers here in Houston are hired by many private businesses to perform various duties in their off duty hours. They are still 100% real cops (one major problem I have with them) and still carry the weight of authority that goes along with that. That's not a Rent-A-Cop, even though that cop has effectively been "rented" by the private business for traffic control, security, etc. They're still 100% real cop and even though they're off duty, still have all the authority of a cop (which means we effectively have no civilian police force in this country anymore).

So if a real, honest to goodness police officer is employed by Ped State, and if they have the same setup as TX, those cops are full-on cops. However, you could easily make the argument that there's a gigantic conflict of interest. Given the action taken, I think that it's possible that the campus police were given their marching orders from Ped State rather than the State of Pennsylvania.