View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011   #44
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 267781 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub - Injury Prone

What goes into a player being "injury prone"? Some guys get that label because they're are literally made of glass. Chris Chandler broke if one of his own linemen breathed on him too hard in the huddle. Other guys just run into really bad luck.

Schaub I think falls into the latter category and if he has an injury prone stigma about him it's because he's been the victim of some cheap shots and some simple bad luck. This is an injury that could have easily happened to anyone.

The question the Texans have to deal with and find an answer to is "Does it matter in the long run?". Schaub is hurt and we need to know if he'll be back this year, sometime next year, or really "ever". When he does come back (assuming the career ending talk is way premature) will he be able to to play at the same level he has been playing at? Will he have the mobility of Dan Marino without the other HOF tools? Can we even succeed with a QB who isn't as mobile as Schaub is now?

I believe that with very few exceptions the natural state of the NFL is one of constant change. Only a handful of QB's in the league are secure enough to not be upgraded if the opportunity came about or the circumstances dictated it. I think Schaub is secure enough to not have to worry about the Texans actively looking for his replacement but he could find himself in trouble if he's outplayed by someone while recovering from an injury.

I don't believe that guy is on the roster who's going to outplay Schaub "as we know him". I want Leinart to do good, great even but that's mostly wishful thinking on my part. I hope he's matured and worked hard and is ready to step up and knock the worlds socks off but I understand that is unlikely at best.

But if this injury seriously affects his already not so incredible mobility then doesn't that mean we do need to find someone? Will Leinart be a bigger drop-off than a less mobile version of Schaub in our system?

I've said a lot of times that I think Kubiak is always looking for the next QB and it's not as much a knock on Schaub as it is a acceptance of the reality of the game. I wouldn't call Schaub injury prone but he's caught some bad breaks and if this turns out badly then it might shorten his career. The Texans need to be prepared for that possibility. In that case these six games are very much an audition for Leinart and if he falls short maybe even for Yates. I think QB just entered our draft picture if neither of them gets it done.