View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011   #291
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 273484 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Penn State Child Sex Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
dude, you obviously don't have all your facts. Read the grand jury's findings before you rant

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...&postcount=182

I read the report and had many of the same reservations that GP did on initially hearing about this. The report changed my mind and position.

Joe Paterno is a legend. He's the guy in charge of the poster-program for an NCAA football team. He's not a cheater, he's not a liar, he's not any of that. He's a role model the likes of which most of us never get close to. He's a perfect figurehead and record setting coach. As far the NCAA football world goes he's the closest thing to the perfect example of a coach/program on earth. It's impossible to separate him from the the school. They are one and the same and they are perfect and above reproach.

That's the general consensus of him with many people before this comes out. I bought into the idea that he was this walks-on-water type too and couldn't bring myself to believe that he knew this was going on and didn't do everything in his power to clean this up. He didn't though. He failed to live up to the myth and living up to the myth in this case should have been easy to do.

Has McQueary been fired too? He should be. I see all these people along the chain of events and every step of the way I don't understand why it never ended with "...and then I went to the police" They all seem like their overwhelming interest was protecting Penn State and I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't just know that the way you protect Penn State is you stop what's happening, expose the bastard, and see that he's put in jail. Sure, your school has a scandal to deal with in the short term but then everyone who sees that you did this knows that not only does Penn State talk the talk but they walk the walk as well. You protect the school by doing the right thing.

He's probably got the single biggest cult of personality in sports but it's all gotta go. The taint on this entire program is enormous and seems to be getting bigger every day. I understand what the kids think because it's a simplified version of what many people (myself included) thought but you can't hold that ground because eventually you have to ask "why didn't someone go to the police?" and Paterno can't be who he's supposed to be if he also failed that test.

Turn over ever single stone and salt the earth when you're done.