View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011   #164
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Penn State Child Sex Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I don't think you know enough to say that. I think it really depends on what he knew and what he was told by McQueary. People keep saying "He HAD to know" but that's a fallicy. It's shocking what people don't know and what people don't notice going on right under their noses and evidence of that happens every day. The guy is in his 80's now (70's then) and I'm not at all shocked by the idea that he didn't know this was happening. Is it that strange to think that an elderly "figurehead type" coach might not know every detail of the program he sits on top of?

I think there is a very valid argument here that if they had a younger coach who was more involved and less of a "living mascot" then possibly that coach would have seen the signs and acted on them. I see Paterno's last decade as one of a program without a head coach at all. A coaching staff yes, a coach? Not so much.
If JoePa didn't know, it's because he didn't want to know. If any moral human being is informed of child abuse to this level, not only do they have a responsibility to notify the authorities, they damn well ought to have the moral fortitude to follow up on it and find out what the result was. How is the kid? How is the accused? What was the evidence? If it's his coach perpetrating, should he look to replace him? Hell, you get one reporter or TV personality saying some crazy shit and all his superiors want him fired, even if he doesn't directly work for them (Hank Williams, anyone?). But JoePa just puts in a call to his AD and washes his hands of the matter? That's complete bullshit.

And the fact that the man is 84 doesn't exonerate him one bit, in my eyes. It makes him even more culpable, because at age 84, you damn well know how the world works and how even people you think you know are capable of dastardly shit.

JoePa didn't know because he chose not to know.