View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011   #137
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Penn State Child Sex Case

Quote:
I was more interested — and continue to be — about why Paterno did not feel compelled to contact police himself, just as a natural human reaction. Especially as the ultimate authority figure in the Penn State football complex, indeed — and let’s be honest here — maybe among the entirety of the university.

Then, what I really thought was compelling was what Paterno said in a news release on Sunday evening. He suggested that what McQueary told him in 2002 of the shower incident was so nonspecific that he was unaware that Sandusky was allegedly performing a sex act with the boy:
“It was obvious that the witness [McQueary] was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the grand jury report.”

The attorney general’s release calls McQueary’s testimony something very different: “A powerful eyewitness statement about the sexual assault of a child.”

This discrepancy is an important point for Paterno’s moral standing. In fact, it’s everything.
What are we to believe here? Both parties agree that McQueary was so upset at what he saw that he immediately contacted his father and that together they went to tell Paterno. And yet, if we are to believe Paterno, McQueary somehow stopped short of conveying exactly what was so shocking?

This is some pretzel logic to traverse. And I find it extremely hard to buy.

When asked about the difference in McQueary’s and Paterno’s stories, the attorney general would not expound, and merely referred to the grand jury presentment.
http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/...tml#incart_hbx

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote