View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004   #6
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Like Scooter said, they would go into cover 2 to prevent all that. Cover 2 is designed to give up the little dump off passes and protect against the big plays. And if they do go into C2 the running lanes wouldnt be open as much as you think (unless it is the colts d-line.) In C2, the defenders are not liable for the man as much as they are the area they have to defend.
I don't see how cover two helps.

I thought the essence of cover two was that the corners were to press the wideouts to knock them off their timing routes and the safeties cleaned up everything over top.

In the scenario I suggested, they can't get a body on Johnson. If the corner is further outside on the tight end and the linebacker is either trying to keep contact with the defensive line, or not quick enough to press Johnson, then Johnson gets a free release and I can't imagine relying on a safety to cover Johnson, one on one, or even tackle him, one on one.

If the defense simply audibles into a zone, it still seems like the offense gets to dictate to the defense.

Any more thoughts. I think Johnson presents a unique make-up opportunity.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote