View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011   #313
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rookie CB a quick comparison - KJ vs Patrick Peterson and others

Alright, now that I have had time to watch all the early actions of the Cardinals (Patrick Peterson - the first CB drafted this year, and a highly-touted prospect as the second coming of Deion Sanders by many of the "pros" as well as many of the TT board members), let me recap what I observed.

So far, Peterson had given up 3 passing TDs, including Cam Newton's first as a pro.
He also gave up two rushing TDs (directly).

Peterson was thrown into the fire similarly as Kareem Jackson; however, the safeties have yet to fail him (Peterson). Everything he got, it's on him.

He had one INT at the end of the first half against the Seahawks.

Before that, his QB (Kolb) had thrown an INT with no time left on the clock.
On the run back, the Cards committed a penalty, however.

The ref awarded the Seahawks with one play near midfield.

QB Tavaris Jackson was chased around as he heaved a hail-mary into a crowd of three defenders; one of them tipped the ball away, right toward the fourth defender (Peterson, who had nobody on him.)

Peterson registered 3 PDs.

One of them was in the Seahawks game (I believe they counted the INT as a PD because I don't see anything else in the gamebook that corresponds with a seperate play.)
I didn't see him defend any pass when I watched the game.

The other two were against the Giants.

On one of them, the pass was thrown behind the receiver on a slant and Peterson broke it off (he was trailing the play as most CBs defending the slant.) A good pass would haven been a completion.
It was still a nice play by Peterson though.

The other one was on a fade route in which Peterson overplayed the fade and made a good break up.

However, when he tried to overplayed the fade again later on, the receiver continued on the go route and beat him for a TD.
(A setup).

Peterson registered 22 solos.
Most of these tackles were after a catch.

The 3 TDs he gave up was against the Panthers, the Skins, and the Giants.

Against the Vikings, McNabb only attempted 21 passes, one of them resulted in a 36yd PI on Peterson.
On the same drive, the other Peterson (Adrian) ran over Patrick on a 14yd TD run.
On another TD run to the edge, AP juked PP out of his sock and left him in the dirt.

In fact, the other CB, AJ Jefferson, an UDFA in 2010, played much better for the Cards than Patrick Peterson.

He had 8 PDs and was good in run support.
Quite a few of his 23 solos were in this mode.
Out of college, one of my concern about him is the angle he took on some tackles. That seems to be corrected.

This guy, AJ Jefferson, was the dark horse that I mentioned before the 2010draft.
I gave him a 5th round grade (only because he played for a smaller school - Fresno St.) and thought the Texans should draft him.
(He was good at the combine on a few drills, I can't remember which ones though.)

He played as a reserve in 2 games last year, but earned the starting nod this year.

I wonder why we didn't hear the "pros" singing about Patrick Peterson!?!

Now, I'm not saying he will be a bust, because he's not.
I do think, however, that touting him as the next Deion Sanders is probably over the top.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote