Thread: Ok y'all...
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011   #1
TexMexMom
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ok y'all...

Surely what I tell you about Arian won't speed around the internet like his tweets did, but this is getting beyond crazy!

Arian has a great sense of humor. Does everyone get it? No, but it's there and if you talk to him in person, you'll see it immediately. The pic of his hammy was from the day after the SF game. The white stuff is probably just fluid. There was no tear and he is fine. He's been cleared of anything major and now will just ease back when he's feeling ready.

My advice to him was to be true to himself. Will everyone like it? No. But I don't believe he should live his life in accordance to anyone else, as long as he is not breaking laws or bringing shame and embarrassment to the Texans organization, his wife and daughter, or us as a family. As his mother, I just want him to remain who he is.

Arian is not one to be changed by income. Is it wonderful for him to be able to provide for himself, wife and daughter? Absolutely! But never if it is going to change who he is as a human being...above and beyond football.

I read the mega thread about this whole thing. Y'all can choose to believe me or not...it's your call, but Arian is more driven and passionate about this game than most will ever know. You should be able to tell that by his reaction to Fantasy Football. He understands the draw and popularity but he sees the change in the fandom because of it. He and his brother played football since they were 7 & 9 years old. They grew up around it. Their dad played in college and had a brief stint with the Broncos back in the late 70's, early 80's. It's what we all loved to do as a family. Watch, play or talk about football. Even before Arian attended the University of Tennessee, we were SEC folks all the way. Ok, Florida State too.

On New Year's Day, our family tradition was to get up early and watch Bowl games all day long. I fixed huge pots of green chile stew and red chile posole and we ate and watched football. It's what we do.

My dad was an avid football watcher but he loved the Redskins. He taught me all there was to know about the game at an early age but allowed me to pick my own team. So in the 6th grade, I became a Raider fan. My daughter, who's 29, is still a die hard Raider fan because of me. My other son latched onto the 49ers.(?) We enjoyed the hard core rivalries growing up. It is tradition with us and truly the one thing that bonds us all still to this day.

I say all this only to explain to you that Arian loves the game. He knows about fandom. Hell, one time the Raiders were playing the Chargers when Kellen Winslow (Sr.) was killing us at the end of the game. I screamed at the TV that I hoped he would break a leg. To my horror, he did get injured and if I remember correctly, it was serious enough to alter his career. I learned my lesson. I've never done it since and it made me look at players in a whole different light. I swear it affected me deeply. So when my sons started to play the game, I worked really hard to make sure that folks knew they were PEOPLE first, players as a secondary thing. I preached to my sons that a football player was not who they are, but something that they do.

That's why I know this game and all its byproducts, good and bad, will not change who Arian Foster is. So relax. He's a good guy with good intentions and if he screws up again, you know then he's just like the rest of us.

***Forgive the long post***
TexMexMom is offline   Reply With Quote