View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011   #153
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Projected starters on defense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I always see Mario as an edge rusher, even though it's very tempting to see him play 5-tech more.

I don't see how moving your best edge rusher inside can benefit the team more.
Now, if the other guys step it up, then it can be a different story.

It's possible that we will see him there some this year (as he had done in the past on a limited basis.)
Mario is not an edge rusher, he's a power/bull rusher which is perfect for a 5 tech. When wade slants the front, mario can bull rush the guard inside and get under his pads. When they played the 3-4 with bruce smith, this happen a lot. Smith didn't beat a lot of guys running the edge like freeney, he mostly came across the guards face.

You know why steelers 3-4 has been great through the years? The nt and the 2 olbs. Look at the anatomy of their 3-4 and you will see the same thing? 330 lbs nt and 2 6-3 250lbs ols. This is why it works and they have been top 5 for 20 yrs or so vs wade and his system that has been inconsistent most times. This is the same reason why the texans will be the same defensively. If mario is coming 90% of the time or 95%, then the true effectiveness of the 3-4 is lost. If you watch the steelers, whether it was green and lloyd, porter and haggans, or harrison and woodley, those guys were 50/50 on who was coming. When wade had his best defense in dallas, ellis was opposite and james was coming up the middle. The true uniqueness of the 3-4 is the unpredictale nature of who is coming. There are always 4 guys, but which 4 is the key. The texans version will be the same 4 most of the time which excludes the unpredictable nature the defense is dsigned for. I never said it wouldn't work, but from the anatomy of building a 3-4, I'm looking at the stelers.