View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011   #19
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The New Texans Defense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I can understand why people think mario can "fit" at OLB, but his value is clearly as a 4-3 DE.
4-3 DEs have tremendous value in the NFL, and we happen to not need one at this time.
I say the only way to truly maximize Mario's value is by trading him, and turning that value into players that fit the 3-4 better, or draft picks. Along with players and/or picks, the Texans get cap relief.
It's very much a win-win-win scenario for the Texans, Mario, and any team in need of a pass rushing 4-3 DE, which is a lot of teams out there.

*edit*
As far as the cap relief part of this deal, I may or may not be correct. Depending on how Mario's contract is structured, it is possible that there might be a cap hit if he is traded, i suppose.

Capologists??
Why would you want cap relief by trading your one proven pass-rusher? Go to youtube and watch a Cowboy's game and watch DeMarcus Ware play some regular snaps. I think you'll come away feeling better about Mario playing that role. On first and second downs he stands up, but still rushes the vast majority of the time. On third down, he goes right back to DE in the nickle.

Someone had suggested replacing him with Manny Lawson from the 49ers. How could you see value in a guy who's career sack total (14) equals Mario's best year? What player that's available now would you replace him with?

BTW look at Charles Johnson (the FA DE who got huge money) stat's compared to Mario's.
cland is offline   Reply With Quote