View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011   #14
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The New Texans Defense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
With these moves in FA and the draft, I feel oddly comfortable with the defense. This is assuming they're just about done with the defense and no other big moves happen.

CB: With Joseph manning the number 1, we get to move everyone down a spot to where they should be. KJax and Allen fight for the spot across from him and share some time with the rookie Harris who'll have time to develop and play some nickel.

S: Manning sounds like an AMAZING pickup. There's one spot locked up. Glover scares me a bit. That other safety spot is one of the big question marks on our defensive depth chart, HOPEFULLY Quinn can step up and Wade Phillips can turn him into a serviceable safety. We'll see. Keo Shiloh backs em up.

OLB: I'm actually much more concerned with Mario at OLB than I am with Connor Barwin. I think Barwin will come in and succeed, but Mario worries me a bit. Regardless, this position is the spot with the most question marks as far as defense goes. Which is scary, since this position is one of the most important in a 3-4. Brooks Reed can back-up and develop.

ILB: Seemingly our strongest position with DeMeco and Cushing, but there are still concerns. Will DeMeco return from injury at even 90%? And will Cushing continue to free fall from his alleged PED high? Hopefully these two can become a great ILB tandem.

DE: Probably Antonio and Watt. By spending our first rounder on Watt, I expect him to come in and start AND have impact. This may be one of our stronger positions in my opinion.

DT: Cody or Mitchell. The last spot, and yet another spot that we're not sure how it will work out. Phillips claims we won't need a huge space eater, but let me tell you, having that big guy sure would make me feel better. I doubt we have the cap for another impact defensive player, so this is probably what we'll enter the season with. This scares me a bit.

So, what do you guys think? Where are the biggest concerns on defense and where do the Texan's defensive strengths land?

I'm not exactly sure why I started feeling this, but I will not be surprised one bit if Mario ends up being traded. There are a few teams that are way under the salary floor, and a good young pass rushing DE is always in demand.

I am excite to see what Mario can do at OLB, but I'm not very optimistic about the prospects. Just not feeling him at that position.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he will be horrible. He has too much raw talent to completely suck, but the value he brings to the table is clearly greater at DE than OLB.

Allow me to indulge in a brief fantasy:
Trade Mario for a decent OLB or NT, plus draft pick(s). Use the cap space to pursue Nnambdi. Yeah, completely unrealistic, I know, but that would be awesome.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote